Australian Police Cars
Australian Police Cars
Police and Emergency Vehicle Forums

Officer's thoughts on scanners

Got any questions about policing or law enforcement in general? Ask them here.

Moderator: Richmeister

Officer's thoughts on scanners

Postby Speake53 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:43 am

Hey,
Just wanted to know what cops out there think about civilians having scanners that can listen to police frequencies. Tonight I was listening to my scanner and there were two jobs that were atteneded to by multiple cars so I (and the friends in my car with me) drove past as they were nearby anyway. When we drove past the second job one car followed us as we went past and then pulled up next to us and just told us to piss off. So we did but I was just a bit surprised because we didn't take photos or do anything other than drive past the cars. Any thoughts?
Speake53

Postby Walks » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:28 am

My thoughts are:

If you want to listen then fine, do so.

BUT

Do not intentionally attend the scene to have stickybeak at what is happening.

Walks.
WAP - 190's on the way!
Walks

Postby Hwy612 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:05 pm

Lucky they only told you where to go. I get more than p.o'd with gawking rubberneckers who have nothing better to do than hang around to view other peoples misery. Make sure your ride is fully road worthy if you continue that lame and potentially dangerous practice. Not every transmission about a job is acurate and the job can turn to shite quickly, additional gawkers and vultures can make it more difficult for the members at the scene,a nd for follow up emergency services to attend the scene. Be prepared to get a ticket for anything if you wish to be a ghoul.

I think that sums up what I think about scanners. Keep it and yourself at home. if listening to the scanner and monitoring the misery of life spins you dials, perhaps some investigation into other, more meaningful activities may be in order. If you listen to further you prospective application for an emergency services position, quit rolling out to the jobs or your name will become known, and not in a good way.
Hwy612
User

Postby Danny » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:47 pm

Been a Police Vehicle photographer.... You have to listen to the Scanner to see what is going on.....

To get your photo's , It depends on what Kind of A Job it is....

If it's a factory fire , Oil Spill , P3 Prang any thing along those Lines it's Alright to go and Get pic's But I alway's ask the Officer....

If's Its a Serious Acco P1 Ect.... It's a Big NO NO...
Seidges Ect.. (Not all of them are safe to be hanging around , Anything that is Really Fatal or Can Harm you or Can Or Bugger Up an Operation I dont even think of Attending...

For Instance Last night about 400mtrs there was a acco near my house... I got there getting ready to take Photo's then found out a Child was Fataly Run over..

I Didnt even bother with shot's , I did hang around for a bit to see what CIU car Turned up But I sat a good 50 - 60 Mtrs Away from the Acco..

Speak53 What was the Job?

Sorry if I have made no Scense... I just woke up..

Danny Boy

That's My Rules

I know Most of the guy's at my LAC HWP Section.. and I Talk to them At Roadblocks with My Scanner in My hand sometimes and they acctually Like to listen to them selves on the Scanner it 's Very Funny Sometimes..

All you have to remember Listening to Scanner's is not Against the Law UNLESS you are using one to break the LAW...

As HWY612 or any Other Serving Member's On this Forum will tell you , It Pisses them off if they are trying to Direct traffic at a Prang and there is rubber Necker's Slowing down and having a StickyBeek , It's dangerous To you , Police officer's and every other Motorist Around..
Visit Police Cars Australia...........
Over 400 Pics of Modern Police Vehicles from all over the Australia

www.polcarsoz.fotopic.net
and NSWFAASP
www.faasp.fotopic.net
Danny
User

Postby will » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:49 pm

You can have a lot of fun with them, in the old days we used to drive the street racers crazy by sending fake cars to set up road blocks to catch them. three or four of us would pretend to be as many as 10 cars and have them scattering in all directions.
Used to do the same with truckies, they would listen to us, pass on the info on their CBs, which we would listen to and then transmit some cntradictory message to what they had just warned others about.
Helped kill some slow nights on the highway.
will

Postby Speake53 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:52 pm

Danny I don't know how old you are but it might've been because I'm a 19 year old P-Plater that they got pissed off, and also because there was a group of us. The jobs were nothing jobs. The first one was just a mainstreet had a few IP's around after the football and the pub shut so CH10, CH16 and CH35 patrolled the area and there were also kids drinking. The second job was just an alarm at a premises which was false.

I also don't ever go to things that are dangerous or involve people being hurt, I mostly enjoy just going to minor accidents or fires, and I don't get in the way if I'm taking photos. Normally stop about 100 metres away and just walk around taking pics from about 50 metres away. On a friday or saturday night if my friends don't feel like going out we'll go for drive, listen to the scanner, normally end up just following a highway car thats doing laps of the pacific highway in coffs. Always harmless. Never get in the road. But I can see how some cops might get pissed off, especially general duty guys.
Speake53

Postby wat? » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:08 pm

I have no problem with someone using a scanner to understand the role of a police officer if they are considering being one.

One thing that irritates me is how numerous IDIOTS use scanners to turn up at emergencies and simply stare and be in the way. Alternatively, anyone who turns up at an incident to take photos of lightbars or other police/emergency vehicles needs to see a psychologist. I can see how cops would get pissed off, the last thing they need is some incosiderate f**khead turning up at an incident.

I've had one absolute moron turn up at a place I was working and started taking pictures of someone being treated by paramedics. I've also had an idiot turn up at my work when a brawl was in progress - they thought that the look of 'vicpol lightbars' of 10 police vehicles. Oh, and I've also seen idiots who turn up during education institute alarms to take pictures of lightbars and other things only to ruin any chance a canine has of tracking someone.

IF YOU CANNOT OFFER ANY ASSISTANCE AT AN INCIDENT (EG/ YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR OR OTHER QUALIFIED PERSON) THEN DON'T BLOODY WELL STOP OR ATTEND THE SCENE!

Any idiot who 'chases' cops or other emergency services does:
a) Needs a life
b) Deserves to be charged
c) Should have their scanner confiscated
d) Should be directed to their nearest mental health carer
"Life if hard. However, it is even harder for stupid people"
wat?

Postby UmYeahESP » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:50 pm

I'd have to agree... The officers on the scene would have a hard enough time already let alone having to push along gawkers and slackjaws... Besides, who really wants to see a death scene/car crash/seige/atomic fallout anyways? :roll:

I never knew that owning a police scanner was legal though?
The only threesome you'll ever have is with two hands...
UmYeahESP
User

Postby wat? » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:44 pm

Exactly UmYeahESP, police and emergency services have more than enough at the scene of an event without worrying about some loser who is there to take photos/get in the way.

As hwy 612 put it, these fools who do this become known for all the wrong reasons. I know of a new places in Vic and NSW where all the locals in certain areas are well informed of these clowns.
Last edited by wat? on Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wat?

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:00 am

Wat?

I think your all Talk mate.....

You have proberly been to busy calling us Mental and Loser's But last time i checked this was a Police Car Forum , RUN and USED by People who Photograph Police Vehicle's.

Police and EMS Worker's Dont need to worry about us getting in the way cause "most" of us now what we are doing....

Most of the guy's at my Local LAC have no Problem with what I do and I beleive it is the same in Richy's Area.

So why dont you take your abusive crap some where else...

Danny Boy < Like's What he does and is not going to let some Snobby P#%^$ On a High Horse tell me what do...

and NSWFAASP
www.faasp.fotopic.net
Danny
User

Postby UmYeahESP » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:50 am

Danny, I think the point that they're trying to put across is that they don't appreciate gawkers clogging up a major accident or fatality scene cause they undoubtedly get in the way of officers and emergancy staff... not to mention traffic...

I'm sure they wouldn't express the same views if you were to take a picture of a police car parked on the side of the road, etc...

If you have special privileges to take photos organised with members of the police force in your area, then good for you. But you would be the minority... a VERY small minority... Could you imagine what it would be like if you had huge crowds taking pictures of a road fatality while emergancy staff were trying to do their job?
UmYeahESP
User

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:33 pm

No One said we turn up at Fatal's and Get in the way of the Police doing their job?

90% of my Shot's are Taken at Station's

And the other are Ussually at Event's Like bike Race's Triathlon's Ect...

Anyone would be stupid to turn up at a Fatal MVA , House Fire ect...

Danny Boy

and NSWFAASP
www.faasp.fotopic.net
Danny
User

Postby UmYeahESP » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:50 pm

Danny wrote:No One said we turn up at Fatal's and Get in the way of the Police doing their job?

90% of my Shot's are Taken at Station's

And the other are Ussually at Event's Like bike Race's Triathlon's Ect...

Well, yeah... isn't that exactly what I just said?

UmYeahESP wrote:I'm sure they wouldn't express the same views if you were to take a picture of a police car parked on the side of the road, etc...

They not complaining about people who take pictures at events or at police stations... No one mentioned anything like that? I think you might need to re-read this thread from the top... :wink:
UmYeahESP
User

Postby Hwy612 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:16 pm

The thread started about people using a scanner to foolow activities and then go and observe the scene. That is what pisses off members Danny, and people who think they have got rights to do certain things. I have no problem with photos taken at appropriate venues at appropriate times, but not by vultures making the job harder, that is where the problem is.
Views were expressed about scanner jockeys chsing ambulances, not about genuine enthusiasts who go about things in the correct manner, so climb down of yo horse Danny or the police members here will gladly ride off into the sunset and not have decent adult discussions here. If non police organisers of this site don't like our opinions when asked, we will galdly keep them to ourselves and talk on cop sites with cops around the nation and the world and not with people with an interest in what we do.
Hwy612
User

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:47 pm

I'am Off my horse and he is now feeding in the backyard.....

Iam Proberly Selling him tommorow...

Nah I just took it the wrong way sorry guy's

Thank's HWY612

Danny Boy...

and NSWFAASP
www.faasp.fotopic.net
Danny
User

Postby Hwy612 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:14 am

Cool

Nice sets of photos btw danny.
Hwy612
User

Postby wat? » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:26 pm

Danny wrote:Wat?

I think your all Talk mate.....

You have proberly been to busy calling us Mental and Loser's But last time i checked this was a Police Car Forum , RUN and USED by People who Photograph Police Vehicle's.

Police and EMS Worker's Dont don't need to worry about us getting in the way cause "most" of us now know what we are doing....

Most of the guy's at my Local LAC have no Problem with what I do and I beleive believe it is the same in Richy's Area.

So why dont don't you take your abusive crap some where else...

Danny Boy < Like's What he does and is not going to let some Snobby P#%^$ On a High Horse tell me what do...

If taking pictures of lightbars and police vehicles tickles your fancy, go for it. I have no problem with that. If you want photos of the cars parked idle outside a station, go for it. As Hwy612 said, I don't have anything against "genuine enthusiasts".

What I have a problem with is the amount of morons who turn up somewhere where they have no reason for being there. Once you see one person standing at the side of the road at an accident, you are guaranteed to have many more in the next few minutes. If it does not concern you at an incident, there is no reason why you or anyone else should be there! And for the record, I've seen one serious motorbike accident earlier this year where I stopped to render first aid as the incident happened right in front of my eyes, I had a fully decked out vehicle with first aid goods (I am a qualified occupational first aider and have training in use of oxygen and defib equip & advanced life support before you ask). The amount of people who 'crowd' around, and even 'take pictures' really gets under my skin. The road was so blocked with bystanders that the ambulance and mica response unit had to practically mow down people... sirens and lights going, they just don't move... Once the ambo's had arrived, I moved back, assisted lifting the casualty on the spin board onto the ferno, then disappeared and continued on my way.

So don't take offence DANNYBOY. I'm not talking about you taking photos outside stations, etc.

Wat? - The Snobby P#%^$ On a High Horse
wat?

Postby Ryno » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:09 am

I think quite simply, if you're not required to be at a scene either as a copper, amobo, firey, SES etc. then pith off!

If you're a witness yeah stick around but otherwise get out of the way!
TOA

Ryno 2005
Ryno

Postby Slattery » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:29 pm

Vicpol will be going digital encrypted before the Commonwealth games anyway so this will not be an issue anymore.

About time.
Cheers. Slattery (H0llyw00d H0gan). Running on Bigpond Broadband Cable.
Slattery

Postby Richmeister » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:31 pm

Which games? Delhi 2010? :-P
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stretcher Bearer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 am

IF YOU CANNOT OFFER ANY ASSISTANCE AT AN INCIDENT (EG/ YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR OR
OTHER QUALIFIED PERSON) THEN DON'T BLOODY WELL STOP OR ATTEND THE SCENE!

Any idiot who 'chases' cops or other emergency services does:
a) Needs a life
b) Deserves to be charged
c) Should have their scanner confiscated
d) Should be directed to their nearest mental health carer

Wat? the last moron I need at a prang is a Doctor.'
In fact anyone claiming to have anything except a Copper AMbo or Firey is a hniderance. Joe blogs with nothing except strong arms is sometimes more useful than the gong banger. I understand where you are coming from, but don't speak for me.

As for the scanners listen to them but don't chase us becasue of what you hear, the media do it enough already.
Get out of my way.
Stretcher Bearer

Re: Officer's thoughts on scanners

Postby josh_676 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:37 pm

Someone broadcast's the tasmanian scanner. I listened for a couple of nights, learnt radio codes, and the jobs that police really do. But after I learnt that, there was no point to listen to it anymore.

Also why the hell would you turn up at the scence of an emergency, and watch... It's stupid, and sick.

The exception is if you have permission to be there, or taking photos at a minor call out. But personally, if I listen to the scanner, and hear an accident at the bottom of my road, I wouldn't go out there to have a sticky beak.
josh_676

Postby ozygee » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:08 pm

On occasions when I have been driving along the F3 or other streets, I come across a car that has lost control and gone into the bush's in the centre medium strip.
I always stop and offer assistance.
If there are no Police around or Emergency workers, I assess what has happened and try to do what I can IE; First Aid or Traffic Managment.
I do work doing Security, and work at a gatehouse that has over 60,000 vechile's come through it in a month, So I have some (Although Limited) knowledge of traffic management and generally carry my work bag in the boot anyway which has a high vis vest in it.
As soon as Police or Emergency workers arrive on the scene, If I am not a witness I give them a brief run down of what I know and my card with my details on it and leave the moment when requested.
I have seen many incidents where Police and Emergency Workers get the poo's about how they do things (Mainly Dangerously) and that is why people need to know when to back off and let them do their job, as one day it could be you they are working on and you would want your dignity as well.

Just my opinion....
ozygee

Postby APF » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:05 am

Such sweet life it is now with no scanning of VicPol radio!!

Nice to know that finally it is secure comms out there.
APF
User

Postby johnboy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:04 pm

Listen all you like. Soon it will only be any good in country areas of most states. Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra and Darwin are encrypted and soon Newcastle/Sydney/Wollongong to follow with Hobart and Perth in the pipeline.

If you go to a scene, stay behind the tape or outside the crime scene. Stay out of the way and all should be sweet.

Not sure why you need to go besides maybe some photos?!? which you might sell to the newpapers. You are better off staying well back and just keep listening to your scanner.
Johnboy
johnboy

Postby johnboy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:06 pm

Danny wrote:... P3 Prang ...
If's Its a Serious Acco P1 Ect....

?
In NSW we only have P4 (requires Police Attendance) and P5 (does not require Police Attendance.)
Johnboy
johnboy

Postby Richmeister » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:37 pm

You can SELL photos to newspapers?!!!! I've never been paid :(
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Postby johnboy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:24 am

Richmeister wrote:You can SELL photos to newspapers?!!!! I've never been paid :(

My oath! The local papers cant afford it, but you can get a few hundred for any photos used by the major papers (Daily Telegraph, SMH, Age and Sunday papers) They will only pay if they print it. Just contact the Pic's editor at the paper if you have something decent.
Johnboy
johnboy

Postby Danny » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Johnboy , I was Speaking to a VKG operator in Newcastle the other day and she said it could at Least be well after 2008 before they go enycrypted , there are still way to may probelms with the netowrk here up north is this true?

Dannyboy

and NSWFAASP
www.faasp.fotopic.net
Danny
User

Postby johnboy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:35 pm

I dont know of any problems up north. I hear they still use analogue so encryption would be pointless. I assume the analogue channels are still on due to coverage issues?!

DES Encryption itself for the network is nothing complex, has no affect on the radio coverage. For Sydney, it could be switched on tomorrow (except the radios have to be loaded up with the keys)

Im only guessing its a political game.
Johnboy
johnboy

Postby will » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:24 am

I've been both a cop and a police car photographer, I've always gone to police stations in various countries and asked if I could take photos. Often its a good way of getting a tour and meeting some other cops too. I have never ever contemplated stopping at the scene of an accident to gawk or to take photos, though I can uderstand why media photogrphers would want to.
However I have always been annoyed and at times disgusted by the gawkers and ghouls who turn up to watch at accidents. And it's always amazed me here they come from. Haven't these people got work to do, or places to go. Where do they get the time to stand around and look at emergency workers?
A good example is what lifeguards have to endure, everytime they pul some poor drowned victim onto the beach and start giving first aid they are immediately ringed by a crowd of nosey b#####ds. What do these people hope to see, if the erson recovers and walks away they all wander off. If he doesn't they stay and look at the corpse. Many of them bring their kids long to watch as well.
If you actualy ask one of these people why they are standing around watching some unfortunate die they don't have an answer. Presumably their life is so boring that watching some poor victim lose hiis life is a highlight for them.

In California there is a law that states people uninvolved with an emergency can not stop, stand or park closer than 200 yards of the emergency scene. Although cops don't always have the time to enforce it, when they do people move.

However I have noticed that people in California anyway pay more attention to police and emergency vehicles, and when they are told to do something they almost always do it. Driving emrgency vehicles at speed was quite different in the USA, almost without exception everyone gets out of your way, even cars on the other side of the road often pull over and stop, whic is a legal requirement over there. They also have a useful law that says no motorist may follow closer than 500 yards behind an emergency vehicle operating flashing lights. Again this works quite well. You don't get those big lines of idiots driving behind fire engines like you do in NZ and Aus.
will

Postby wat? » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:37 pm

I agree Will. We have laws in Vic about motorists moving out of the way of emergency vehicles, giving way, moving over to the left... never happens. The only people they do this for is fire trucks, as when they come racing at speed, people shit themselves and move away.

For instance, I was driving to a stabbing in progress, lights and sirens on in 4 lanes of traffic all going the same way. One driver did not move out of the way for a good 300m or so, despite reds and blues, siren, flashing headlights on high beams, etc etc. They are just completely ignorant of you... or they think you are trying to pull them over. :evil:
wat?

Postby Slattery » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:17 am

As soon as In Car Video is fitted in traffic vehicles here in Victoria, anyone that doesn't get out of the way will be followed up with a please explain.
It really gives me the shits...
Cheers. Slattery (H0llyw00d H0gan). Running on Bigpond Broadband Cable.
Slattery

Return to Policing and Law Enforcement