Australian Police Cars
Australian Police Cars
Police and Emergency Vehicle Forums

DB testing... Fair?

Got any questions about policing or law enforcement in general? Ask them here.

Moderator: Richmeister

DB testing... Fair?

Postby UmYeahESP » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:54 am

Hey guys,

A mate of mine just brought something to my attention and I thought I'd ask your views on the situation.

The Department of Transport have just invested in a set of new DB testers for exhausts, apparently they're really accurate and will help enforce a huge crackdown on those annoying "fart cannon" exhausts. You know the ones I'm talking about, those 1.3 litre cars with a huge tip hanging out the back of it, making more noise than a couple of skeletons throwing a fit on a tin roof.

My car comes under the 90db noise level so this "crackdown" doesn't affect me, but I pose this question: "Will Harley Davidson motorbikes be targeted as well? Or will they be let off without a second glace as is the usual case?"

It astounds me that something that makes more noise than a 747 can be allowed to roam the streets while any car with an aftermarket exhaust is targeted... What is the reasoning for this? Is there any officers on here that have actually pulled over a Harley for being too loud?

Kris
The only threesome you'll ever have is with two hands...
UmYeahESP
User

Postby Hwy612 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:37 am

Who says Harleys are being let off. EPA deal with this issue NOT the Police.

I have referred all types of vehicles to the EPA for noise testing.
Hwy612
User

Postby UmYeahESP » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:48 am

? I never claimed that police deal with this issue... I was merely asking if any officers have pulled over a Harley for noise pollution...

To be quite blunt, it seems that they're intimidated by the caliber of people that usually drive Harleys. I've seen hundreds of these noise machines scream past a police vehicle without even a second glance...

So has anyone else ever pulled one up?
UmYeahESP
User

Postby Wolverine » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:29 am

UmYeahESP wrote:So has anyone else ever pulled one up?

Hwy612 wrote:I have referred all types of vehicles to the EPA for noise testing.

I think this statement answers your question.
Darryl

"GO HARD OR GO HOME"
Wolverine
User

Postby UmYeahESP » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:26 pm

Wolverine wrote:
UmYeahESP wrote:So has anyone else ever pulled one up?

Hwy612 wrote:I have referred all types of vehicles to the EPA for noise testing.

I think this statement answers your question.

Thanks mate, but notice I said "So has anyone else ever pulled one up?"

:roll:
UmYeahESP
User

Postby Hwy612 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:15 pm

UmYeahESP wrote:? I never claimed that police deal with this issue... I was merely asking if any officers have pulled over a Harley for noise pollution...

To be quite blunt, it seems that they're intimidated by the caliber of people that usually drive Harleys. I've seen hundreds of these noise machines scream past a police vehicle without even a second glance...

The first part of your quote is nullified by the second, somewhat offensive to serving members, statement.

Have you not heard of a spotters report, you just forward details to the EPA if you are not in a position to intercept. DO NOT "Guess" at what the Police are doing, jsut let us do our jog the way we do it, if you wanna do it different, go ahead.
Hwy612
User

Postby UmYeahESP » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:29 pm

Sorry mate, your right...

I was unaware of this so called "spotters report"...

As for this:
jsut let us do our jog the way we do it, if you wanna do it different, go ahead.

I think you will find if you look at some of my previous posts in the past, I have admitted to having great respect for those in the job! It's just little things like the above that seem to get at me... Thanks for the info...
UmYeahESP
User

Postby TMU622 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:45 pm

99% of Harleys are too loud. I love putting in EPA spotter forms on them. Everyone removes the small exhaust they come with that just passes EPA and puts on different pipes. Everyone! Icluding the grey haired folk!!. What's the point of having a Harley if nobody can hear it. If they can afford a Harley they can afford the weekly EPA tests!!
TMU622

Postby rgg066 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:42 am

TMU622 wrote:99% of Harleys are too loud. I love putting in EPA spotter forms on them. Everyone removes the small exhaust they come with that just passes EPA and puts on different pipes. Everyone! Icluding the grey haired folk!!. What's the point of having a Harley if nobody can hear it. If they can afford a Harley they can afford the weekly EPA tests!!

You're right on the money there 622. I can't remember the last time I saw a Harley that wasn't able to be heard from about 6 blocks prior to it actually coming into sight.

I'd also love a dollar for every EPA report I've done. The EPA has some very tough legislation backing them up.

ANYONE can register as an EPA spotter to report Smokey Vehicles, tossing Cigarette Butts out of a vehicle and also excessive noise. (all pet hates of mine)

All you need to do is register with the EPA and then for each report, your name, date, time, road name & alleged offence and in the case of littering offences, to indicate that you are willing to give evidence in court if the infringement notice is disputed.

The EPA have never asked me to go to court and I have easilly made over 200 reports.
Hello, I'm from the Government. I'm here to assist
rgg066
User

Return to Policing and Law Enforcement