Australian Police Cars
Australian Police Cars
Police and Emergency Vehicle Forums

when will digital be in

Got any questions about policing or law enforcement in general? Ask them here.

Moderator: Richmeister

when will digital be in

Postby vicpol » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:31 am

just wanted to know when the police will be switching to digital frequencies? if not already.
vicpol

Postby Richmeister » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:37 am

I assume from your username that you're talking abou Victoria Police? The digital network is up and running, however it is being retransmitted on the old analogue network while a few digital coverage issues are worked out. The full digital changeover could be anywhere up tok a few months away.
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vicpol » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:35 am

hey yeah sorry i am from VIctoria Melbourne, now will they be the same numbers as on analogue? or totally different numbers? What is a digital scanner worth these days? is it better on digital more clear? why the change?

P.s Do you remember the yellow Vl turbo police cars? If so did you drive them? your thoughts? Are there any fine examples still out there with members (your friends) who might have bought it after its duty and still have it? Any pics apart from the ones on the net?

Regards VicPol
vicpol

Postby Car RAMROD » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:10 pm

Once digital is in, it will be encrypted, won't be able to be listened to (in theory).

The boundries fo rthe diffeerent channels remain the same, but, for instance, Channel 69 becomes Channel 5 Zone 2.
Car RAMROD
User

Postby vicpol » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:43 pm

so we cant even listen in at night at home? thats no good i love listening to the police on the Scanner. WIll there be a way?
vicpol

Postby johnboy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:21 pm

Seems to be the way for all states.
Johnboy
johnboy

Postby Wolverine » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 am

vicpol wrote:so we cant even listen in at night at home? thats no good i love listening to the police on the Scanner. WIll there be a way?

Short Answer : NO
Darryl

"GO HARD OR GO HOME"
Wolverine
User

Postby vicpol » Mon May 01, 2006 2:12 am

like all systems someone will find a way to get in and listen on the digital. Just need time
vicpol

Postby johnboy » Mon May 01, 2006 8:04 am

vicpol wrote:like all systems someone will find a way to get in and listen on the digital. Just need time

Not really sure it will happen.
When trunking radios came out, it took a few years for someone to work out a computer program to listen to it. My first "trunk tracker" in 1996 ran on DOS and needed two scanners. It was then developed by the large American companies to get it into the hand held scanners we have today. They also needed the market to sell it to pay off the cost of development, and that is the USA, plus many other countries.

However, unlike Australia, it is illegal in the USA to listen to encrypted communications, so they have no legal market. This is the same in many other countries. With this the big developers being Uniden and Radio Shack have no intention to develop this technolgy since they can't sell it.

It may happen, but it maybe a long time too.
Johnboy
johnboy

Postby Richmeister » Mon May 01, 2006 1:02 pm

Not only is it a matter of the equipment being readily available, the digital encryption technology is virtually impossible to crack, and there are safeguards in place to maintain the security of the system even if someone does manage to crack the key.
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Postby josh_676 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:24 pm

Tasmania went digital ages ago. And it's still possible to listen providing you have a trunk tracker.
josh_676

Postby johnboy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:01 pm

Richmeister wrote:Not only is it a matter of the equipment being readily available, the digital encryption technology is virtually impossible to crack, and there are safeguards in place to maintain the security of the system even if someone does manage to crack the key.

The DES system that NSWP will be using is crackable. You just need a lot of computer power and time. It could be done comerically, but as the large communication companies such as Uniden and Radio Shack are bounded by their market being the US, there will be no legal development. There was an article in a Comms mag about 4 years ago about the CIA taking up to 6months to crack encrypted radio comms.

When trunking took off here in the mid 1990's, everyone in radio world said that it won't be cracked. Within 6 months, an Australian had developed the first trunk tracker program on DOS. All you needed was a PC and two scanners.
Johnboy
johnboy

Postby vicpol » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:05 am

Thanks Johnboy, good to hear hopefully it will get cracked and we can listen to the interesting stuff that goes on. I love sitting at home on a cold night listening to the police scanner.
vicpol

Postby APF » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:51 pm

vicpol wrote:Thanks Johnboy, good to hear hopefully it will get cracked and we can listen to the interesting stuff that goes on. I love sitting at home on a cold night listening to the police scanner.

Hopefully you aren't admitting to an offence of wanting to crack an encrypted network.

If you want to listen to a police radio, go become a copper.

The reason the encryption is needed far outweighs the curiousity factor of scanner jockeys
APF
User

Postby Richmeister » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:07 pm

Discussion of cracking encrypted police radio systems really isn't what this forum is for.

Richard

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Policing and Law Enforcement