Australian Police Cars
Australian Police Cars
Police and Emergency Vehicle Forums

[Vic] Bendigo region loses TMU vehicle

Any discussion regarding police vehicles.

Moderator: Richmeister

[Vic] Bendigo region loses TMU vehicle

Postby Richmeister » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:15 pm

From today's Bendigo Advertiser:

Pursuit vehicle goes to Melbourne

THE Police Association has voiced concerns for road safety in Bendigo after a road safety unit was stripped of one of its vehicles.

The Bendigo Traffic Management Unit has lost one of its six pursuit vehicles to Melbourne.

Police Association secretary Senior Sergeant Paul Mullet said the loss of the vehicle would restrict the TMU's ability to patrol central Victorian roads.

"The Bendigo TMU, and other regional TMUs, do a fantastic job reducing the road toll and enforcing the road safety message," Sen-Sergeant Mullet said.

"To take away one of its vehicles compromises road user safety in the region."

However, the region's police chief Superintendent Greg Duckett said the TMU had not permanently lost the vehicle.

"It could be on a temporary basis that the vehicle has been relocated," Supt Duckett said.

"At the moment it is needed elsewhere.

"(But) I am confident we will get it back in a shortish while and the situation will be rectified."

Bendigo TMU Acting Sergeant Geoff Annand said the unit previously had six pursuit vehicles.

"We have lost one, but we don't know how long for," he said.

"We will do the best we can with the resources we've got."

And I thought Ms Nixon said we were getting MORE vehicles in the region...
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rgg066 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:21 pm

If ia car gets taken away, that's a sign it isn't being utilised enough and more than likely it is gone for good. The monthly returns probably indicate the number of patrol km the unit does doesn't support 6 cars. Eg. some TMU offices avg more than 60,000km per vehicle per year, whereas Bendigo doesn't avg half of that per vehicle, hence why you now have 5 cars.

If another office needed an extra car, they'd be allocated one by simply putting an additional new car on the road. But if yours gets "redeployed" or whatever hyperbole they use to say taken away, it's most likely not coming back.

You will eventually have more vehicles assigned to the region........ after some are taken away for a little while first. After a month or few, 1 vehicle will be returned with great fanfare and no doubt a story and photos in the local paper about the additional vehicle assigned to the region, providing evidence of the CC's promise of more vehicles. You will then have more vehicles alright. (more than during the period of time when one or more of your cars were "redeployed")

Of course, more could also just mean cyclic replacements as each one reaches its' service life mileage, without actually increasing the sum total number of vehicles.

It's all semantics, half truths, manipulation of the facts and making members and the public feel like thay are getting something extra, when in reality they are getting less or exactly the same.

Kind of the like the way the crime stats are compiled to reflect a predetermined and predicted desired result. When stats don't tell the desired story, the criteria is reclassified and recategorised until they do.

We all know how management of any kind (just like journalists for that matter) never like the truth to get in the way of a good story and this "redeployed" TMU car will probably be one such occasion. I can see the writing on the wall already.
Hello, I'm from the Government. I'm here to assist
rgg066
User

Postby TMU622 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:46 am

All our cars at Bendigo TMU do 60,000 a year. All the cars are utilised most of the time. We have been short a member for three years now. Once we are up to full strenght we will really need our lost car. I found out some months ago that the car had been reallocated to a Crime desk. These crime desks are a great idea and have been widely implemented state wide. Of course there have been no additional vehicles or staff employed for the positions so the staff are taken from already drained stations and the cars are "quietly lifted" from other areas. The region 3 RTTU(Regional TMU) which had 4 cars lost two cars. So they in turn took possession of the two regional SMART cars and will fight tooth and nail not to give them to anyone. When we discovered at Bendigo that our vehicle was allocated to another area, we were told not to worry as we were going to get a SMART car permanately. When we changed the vehicle over we were told "sorry haven't got a car for you bad luck" Ripped off! Think a call will be soon made to the TAC.(Money Talks!) It is very frustrating to lose a car which we rely on 100% to do our job. No one else in the Police force drives around in their car for 9 hours a day cranking out up to 500km attempting to reduce road trauma by 20%. Well now that they had reduced our resources by 17% will they still expect us to achieve our goals? YOU BET THEY WILL!!!
TMU622

Postby Richmeister » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:28 am

How many members are at Bendigo TMU?
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Postby TMU622 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:10 pm

Strength of one Senior Sergeant, two Sergeants and 15 Senior Constables. Currently have two vacancies and one member upgraded most of the time due to leave. 95% of shifts are one up patrols.
TMU622

Postby Hwy612 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:33 pm

TMU622 wrote: Well now that they had reduced our resources by 17% will they still expect us to achieve our goals? YOU BET THEY WILL!!!

No, they will expect you to acheive more to be able to utilise more TAC money. :wink:
Hwy612
User

Postby rgg066 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:58 am

Being somewhat of a cynic and acutely aware that there is an alterior motive/underhanded ploy behind the removal/reallocation of any resource, (members, equipment &vehicles too) this case under discussion, may be an example of a surrepticious attempt to get the TAC to buy more Police Cars.

BTW, why is the Crime Desk being issued with a TMU car?

Surely, putting an extra CIU car on the road to give to the Crime Desk would be the preferred option? Or am I just being too rational?
Last edited by rgg066 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgg066
User

Postby rgg066 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:04 am

TMU622 wrote:Strength of one Senior Sergeant, two Sergeants and 15 Senior Constables. Currently have two vacancies and one member upgraded most of the time due to leave. 95% of shifts are one up patrols.

Keep an eye on those vacancies. If they stay unfilled for too long, the positions will vanish.

It wasn't too long ago that I recall a suburban station with gazetted strength of 70 had a rostered strenth of 28 and guys were doing nightshift every 3 or 4 weeks. Around the same time vacancies that had remained unfilled for 18mths were being eliminated.
rgg066
User

Return to Police Vehicles