Australian Police Cars
Australian Police Cars
Police and Emergency Vehicle Forums

Anyone remember the Yellow Vl turbo Police Cars

Any discussion regarding police vehicles.

Moderator: Richmeister

Anyone remember the Yellow Vl turbo Police Cars

Postby vicpol » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:02 am

Anyone remember the Yellow Vl turbo Police Cars in melbourne from 1986 to 1988, they are one of the best looking police cars of the 80's. Anyone here used to drive one as a patrol car? if so what were your thoughts? anyone got any good pics i seen the basic ones out there but anyone got private ones from back then they took themselves.
vicpol

Postby Hwy612 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:28 pm

I drove the whistling beast, probably the best traffic car I have driven, despite the lack of mod cons we have now. The current SS is probably the best since then, but that is only my opinion. They were a harsh mistress though, if treated poorly. Absolutely deadly on a wet road in incompetent hands (and feet).

They were used all over the state, not just the city areas.

I have a few photos but I have not scanned them yet, not much different from what is available on the site.
Hwy612
User

Postby vicpol » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:17 pm

Hey Hwy thanks for the info, it would be greatly appreicated if you could email me the pics if its not to much trouble. email: turbz04@yahoo.com.

ARe the pics ones you took when you drove the beasts? I have one of these fine examples, its a all orginal 1988 series 2 July, Yellow Bt1 Euroa Highway patrol car, i still got the service history on the sunvisor and all the holes where the cb'S and the radios used to be, and the double horn, longrange tank, sump guard, receipts when purchased from the police, just to mention some of the stuff. It has 350,000 km all on a unopened engine and still going very strong, i am very impressed with it. Had the numbers on the roof also P75, were the numbers.

How was the built quality? what were some of the problems you guys ran into with them during there service? engine turbo gearbox diff wise? How many Km were they decommisioned?

Do you know any members of have one of these cars still, has to be the yellow ones? and want to sell for the right price? If so let me know so i can do a deal i am after another one.

Regards Vicpol..
vicpol

Postby Hwy612 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:04 pm

I will get around to the photos when I can find them and scan them.

In all the time I used a VL, and all the hard hard work it was punished with, the only mechanical fault I experienced was a gear stick breakage. I did not hear of any major problems from any of the members I worked with.

I can't remeber the K's to end of service but it was probably around 80, just a guess tho.
Hwy612
User

Postby Hwy612 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:05 pm

I will get around to the photos when I can find them and scan them.

In all the time I used a VL, and all the hard hard work it was punished with, the only mechanical fault I experienced was a gear stick breakage. I did not hear of any major problems from any of the members I worked with.

I can't remeber the K's to end of service but it was probably around 80, just a guess tho.
Hwy612
User

Postby vicpol » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:05 pm

thanks for the info hwy, i will look forward to receiving the pics from you.

Regards Tony
vicpol

Postby vicpol » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:08 pm

What kind of hard work was the VL put through? big chases? sideways? it handled pretty good for a 1988 vehicle?

DO you know any members with one of these fine examples with one sitting in there garage to this very day?
vicpol

Postby Hwy612 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:11 pm

Back in those days, there was no moving mode radar, so it was a lot of stop-start stuff, going from sitting at idle to max speed to intercept a speeder. Brakes, gears tyres etc copped a fair work out. If one was to get a pursuit car sideways whilst attempting to catch an offender, then that member would be doing a second stint at the driving school to iron out a few dangerous bugs. Despit Hollywood, we don't throw the cars sideways around corners.
Hwy612
User

Postby vicpol » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:40 pm

Koolz, do you know any members who have bought the Yellow VL turbo x police car after driving them as work cars, and still have it today? if so if there interested in selling.
vicpol

Postby Hwy612 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:57 pm

Do not know of any.
Hwy612
User

Postby Car RAMROD » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:29 pm

Vicpol, perhaps if you ask a sixth time in the same thread, someone will have a n ex-police VL for sale by now?
Car RAMROD
User

Postby vicpol » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:17 pm

ok anyone know anyone with a original yellow vl turbo.
vicpol

Postby Car RAMROD » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:33 pm

Classic, someone who ignores sarcasm and put me in my place. I like the guy!
Car RAMROD
User

Postby vicpol » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:57 pm

Thanks ramrod, good to have a laugh.
vicpol

Postby Richmeister » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:51 pm

I think that's enough for this topic.
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Police Vehicles