Australian Police Cars
Australian Police Cars
Police and Emergency Vehicle Forums

Auction Watch - discussion

Any discussion regarding police vehicles.

Moderator: Richmeister

Postby Hwy612 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:57 pm

Was a tidy car, and not too bad for a Ford. No damage or mechanical issues. Rare find with low K's, retired due to lease expiry before 60k mark reached. Not defiled in any manner known.
User avatar
Hwy612
User
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: Victoria

Postby Richmeister » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:49 pm

What did you get to replace it?

A lot of the Series 3.5 SMART cars are going with low k's too, there's one there tomorrow (SSU556) with just over 28,000km on the clock!
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
User avatar
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Bendigo, Vic

Postby will » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:29 pm

The first of the HWP New Zealand lease cars have been going out with about 140,000 kms and three years service on the clock.
Which s a lot less than the mileage on some of the AU Falcons being sold off, 200,000 plus is the norm with a few hititng 300,000 plus, and seven years service.
In 1898 a NSW officer visited our station, and commented on the fact that we were to be commended for preserving some of our history by keeping a musem car on display. It was a 1981 Ford cortina he was looking at, still in service.
User avatar
will
Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:52 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby Wolverine » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:02 am

will wrote:.......In 1898 a NSW officer visited our station, and commented on the fact that we were to be commended for preserving some of our history by keeping a musem car on display. It was a 1981 Ford cortina he was looking at, still in service.


:shock: :shock:
Darryl

"GO HARD OR GO HOME"
User avatar
Wolverine
User
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Queensland

Postby rgg066 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:53 am

will wrote:The first of the HWP New Zealand lease cars have been going out with about 140,000 kms and three years service on the clock.
Which s a lot less than the mileage on some of the AU Falcons being sold off, 200,000 plus is the norm with a few hititng 300,000 plus, and seven years service.
In 1898 a NSW officer visited our station, and commented on the fact that we were to be commended for preserving some of our history by keeping a musem car on display. It was a 1981 Ford cortina he was looking at, still in service.


Geez Louise, :shock: they'd be a pretty ordinary used car after a 300,000km service life!

Imagine the vehicle history print out, 7 yr old AU, on its 3rd gearbox, 3rd diff, then there's all the other stuff that breaks along the way during normal use, plus rest of the stuff that only gets broken, bent & damaged by heavy handed coppers who who try brute force instead of asking how to work whatever it is and don't care cause it's not their car.

Reminds me of when I was young bloke in the country. I'd go out the back of the station on a Monday with the old man and flick on all the lights, sirens etc. as he checked over the cars and the van from the outside. It was amazing how many things got damaged in the course of a week, that nobody reported or owned upto. Whenever explanations were sought by the old man, the standard reply came back "Somebody Else" did it, almost EVERY time.

No matter how hard I looked through the roster, there was never a member named Somebody Else stationed there, but boy did he break a lot of stuff!!

Of course you meant 1998 when the NSW member visited, but a 1981 Cortina still in service in 1998!!! :lol: How bizarre
Hello, I'm from the Government. I'm here to assist
User avatar
rgg066
User
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Victoria

Postby ResQ91 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:43 pm

And here is the ex Newcastle 207.....was a black VY2 SS replaced by one of the new XR8s with the old school strip markings on the side and bonnet.


http://www.fowles.com.au/auctions/lot.a ... er=1909030

I also have shots of it in service as an unmarked HWP on my site.

http://judd-nightingale.fotopic.net/c557246.html

AND of the new XR8 Newcastle 207 - gotta be seen to be believed!

http://judd-nightingale.fotopic.net/c877992.html
Check out the Australian Police Trader Message Board and PRIORITY 2 NSWP Vehicle Photography! Have a good one and stay safe...
User avatar
ResQ91
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:53 pm

Postby Hwy612 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Richmeister wrote:What did you get to replace it?

A lot of the Series 3.5 SMART cars are going with low k's too, there's one there tomorrow (SSU556) with just over 28,000km on the clock!




We got a VZ with 20,000. It was a three way trade for the SMART Car for the Division, HQ had a spare car from the last round of SMART car returns and someone finally cought up with it. :cry:
User avatar
Hwy612
User
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: Victoria

Postby Hwy612 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:16 pm

Richmeister wrote:Model COMMODORE VZ SS
Description 04/2005, HOLDEN, COMMODORE VZ SS, SEDAN, 5.7L EI PETROL, 4SPD AUTOMATIC, QUICKSILVER, 64732KM, REGO: TON844, UNREG
COMP DATE: 04/2005
Features OWNERS MANUAL, AIR CONDITIONING, POWER STEERING, POWER WINDOWS, CENTRAL LOCKING, DUAL AIR BAGS, SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS, CRUISE CONTROL, ABS, RADIO, ALLOY SPARE WHEEL, SERVICE BOOKS, COMPACT DISC PLAYER, INDEPENDENT REAR SUSP, BODY KIT, SPOILER
Colour QUICKSILVER

Then: http://www.auspolcars.info/index.php?st ... _vzssum_01
Now: http://www.fowles.com.au/auctions/lot.a ... er=1900270





Another good buy, no mech or electric faults, goes like the proverbial.


Neat and tidy, well looked after car. Small dent in passenger rear door from first encounter with an offender not complying. All rims original.
User avatar
Hwy612
User
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: Victoria

Postby Richmeister » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:37 am

ResQ91 wrote:And here is the ex Newcastle 207.....was a black VY2 SS replaced by one of the new XR8s with the old school strip markings on the side and bonnet.


http://www.fowles.com.au/auctions/lot.a ... er=1909030

I also have shots of it in service as an unmarked HWP on my site.

http://judd-nightingale.fotopic.net/c557246.html

AND of the new XR8 Newcastle 207 - gotta be seen to be believed!

http://judd-nightingale.fotopic.net/c877992.html


The old Waratah 15 was at Fowles last week too.
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
User avatar
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Bendigo, Vic

Postby rgg066 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:23 pm

Hwy612 wrote:
We got a VZ with 20,000. It was a three way trade for the SMART Car for the Division, HQ had a spare car from the last round of SMART car returns and someone finally cought up with it. :cry:


At the rate you rack up the K's over there, that SS will be gone by June/July.
Hello, I'm from the Government. I'm here to assist
User avatar
rgg066
User
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Victoria

Postby ResQ91 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:28 pm

The old Waratah 15 was at Fowles last week too.
_________________


Yup noticed that Rich, as well as the ex NC204. Will be a heap of unmarkeds floating thru there soon from the NC area, we are seeing an absolute stack of new BF futura's lately.


I can see myself heading to Fowles when I have paid off my current heap

Would love to pick up one of the AWD Magnas, or maybe the new 207 when she retires lol! I can definitely see me behind that wheel!
Check out the Australian Police Trader Message Board and PRIORITY 2 NSWP Vehicle Photography! Have a good one and stay safe...
User avatar
ResQ91
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:53 pm

Postby Hwy612 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:47 pm

rgg066 wrote:
Hwy612 wrote:
We got a VZ with 20,000. It was a three way trade for the SMART Car for the Division, HQ had a spare car from the last round of SMART car returns and someone finally cought up with it. :cry:


At the rate you rack up the K's over there, that SS will be gone by June/July.
We normally do a 60k car in 3-4 months. Not uncommon to do 300+ per shift, two shifts per day at the best of times.
User avatar
Hwy612
User
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: Victoria

Postby ResQ91 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:40 am

Waratah 203 (black SS unmarked HWP) is now at auction. Has been replaced by a Black BF GT with silver or white stripes. The race is on between me and Daniel I. to catch it!

Here are shots of the old 203 - 8 shots of it still in service on my website, and a link to the auction. It is a great buy, with only 16412 km on the clock!!!! Apparently WT HWP were just told to do the swap for the new one regardless of how few K's it had.

Working - 8 Shots - http://judd-nightingale.fotopic.net/c896371.html

At Auction - http://www.fowles.com.au/auctions/lot.a ... er=1924556
Check out the Australian Police Trader Message Board and PRIORITY 2 NSWP Vehicle Photography! Have a good one and stay safe...
User avatar
ResQ91
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:53 pm

Postby Car RAMROD » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:25 pm

ResQ91 wrote:Waratah 203 (black SS unmarked HWP) is now at auction. Has been replaced by a Black BF GT with silver or white stripes.


How on earth is it justified paying for GTs? Do they depreciate less or something?
User avatar
Car RAMROD
User
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:12 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby ResQ91 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Well most of the NSW sedan/wagon fleet is now Ford, due to Ford undercutting Holden by $2million odd........so they would get a better than normal deal. And yeah, I'd imagine they'd have a pretty good resale too. AND


they look pretty!
Check out the Australian Police Trader Message Board and PRIORITY 2 NSWP Vehicle Photography! Have a good one and stay safe...
User avatar
ResQ91
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:53 pm

Postby Richmeister » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:47 pm

They're not GTs! They're XR8s with BAII GT lookalike stripes.
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
User avatar
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Bendigo, Vic

Postby rgg066 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:04 pm

ResQ91 wrote:Waratah 203 (black SS unmarked HWP) is now at auction..........It is a great buy, with only 16412 km on the clock!!!! Apparently WT HWP were just told to do the swap for the new one regardless of how few K's it had.



:shock: That's a bit hard to fathom, especially when you see 12month old HWP cars being auctioned off with 90,000km on the clock.

Usually, the reason a vehicle leaves service with really low k's like that is if it's from a very low mileage station (Eg. like a Stn Sedan from Richmond or Fitzroy in Melb which cover about 20,000km in 2 yrs due to their area being geographically small, but with high density population) and the car is changed over based on age.

The other reasons are if the vehicle has been in a decent sort of a prang or it's a lemon.

Unless the car is about 2yrs old, a fairly new ex-Police vehicle with 16,000k's should set off the alarm bells.
Hello, I'm from the Government. I'm here to assist
User avatar
rgg066
User
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Victoria

Postby rgg066 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:18 pm

Richmeister wrote:They're not GTs! They're XR8s with BAII GT lookalike stripes.


Correct. They are the proverbial Sheep in a Wolf's clothing!

Remember, we are talking about NSW Police here. There's no way NSW would cough up for GT's. This is after all, the same state that continues to buy crappy LPG GD Falcon's. (in spite of an enourmous number of member complaints to Fleet, documented incidents and repeated breakdowns) Why? The ONLY reason is because they are cheap!

The Commodore GD sedan is far more popular, quicker, handles better and is more reliable, but it isn't the cheapest option, so the Falcon gets the nod solely on price.

I'm surprised NSW hasn't canned the V8 and XR-6 Turbo and equipped the HWP with 6 cyl GD sedans, fitted out with the HWP gear already, just so they could save a few more dollars on running costs too!

I shouldn't joke about such stupidity, because the decision has most likely been made already and the announcement will be made any day now. :lol:
Hello, I'm from the Government. I'm here to assist
User avatar
rgg066
User
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Victoria

Postby Car RAMROD » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:08 am

rgg066 wrote:The Commodore GD sedan is far more popular, quicker, handles better and is more reliable, but it isn't the cheapest option, so the Falcon gets the nod solely on price.


Well that's subjective isn't it? I can make a Falcon handle better than a Commodore any day of the week. The ancient rear end in Commodores is far too twitchy and very unpredictable. Also, in the 6 cyl, you will find the Falcon is quicker against a clock, the Commodore just feels quicker because of the low diff ratio and first gear combo. The VZ is the first Commodore to actually have a motor and not a boat anchor under the boonet, depite the fact that a brand spanking new V6 still keeps the tinny noise that the old 3.8 used to make, and still has no torque until 4,000 rpm.
We've had three station Falcons in my time (1xAU and 2xBA - VicPol is in bed with Holden) and none of them had any problems in their time with us. The Commodores are always getting fixed. They also have a VERY annoying habit of losing bits of interior trim when driving fast.

As far as cost goes, the Commodore is going to use less fuel over its life (Compared to a PETROL Falcon) and will have better resale at the end of its lease for the same purchase price. I would have thought the Commodore was a cheaper option? This is just a guess though.
User avatar
Car RAMROD
User
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:12 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby rgg066 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 am

Car RAMROD wrote:
As far as cost goes, the Commodore is going to use less fuel over its life (Compared to a PETROL Falcon) and will have better resale at the end of its lease for the same purchase price. I would have thought the Commodore was a cheaper option? This is just a guess though.


I was referring to the fact that NSW is buying LPG Falcons from Ford under an arrangement where Ford is so desperate for sales that they have included factory LPG in the deal and priced the Falcon cheaper than a new Commodore, hence why running costs for the Falcon are lower. - The comparison isn't equal, I agree.

But reliability is out the window with the LPG Falcon. In NSW there are well documented reports on LPG Falcons turning themselves off / stalling at inopportune times without warning whilst conducting basic u-turns and other normal use manouveres, as well as whilst under UDD conditions

I don't understand why the association hasn't had them pulled off the road under OH&S concerns.

No idea what station/area you are from, but the Falcon may be quicker in a straight line over a 1/4 mile, but that'd be about all, (even then I'd be surprised if it was the case - having driven both) but in an urban environment, the BA/BF feels very heavy, is harder work to drive and lacks agility and precision in handling over a Commodore and from te seat of my pants appears to need more right foot than the Commodore to get it moving.

As it happens I'm not a fan of Holden or Ford. They both selectively apply their warranty as they see fit and for that I'm very critical.

I've gone into a dealership in a Police car many times and seen stuff covered under warranty, which is refused on my own private vehicle (both Holden and Ford) so neither company has any credibility in my book, nor will they get any of my hard earned money ever again.

But, if I was ever unfortunate enough to be in the situation where only Ford or Holden was the permitted choice, Holden would get the nod begrudgingly, in a case of choosing the lesser of the two evils, because at the moment the BF is merely a BA with a slighlty newer auto gearbox in a few of the different spec levels and still behind what is a crappy Commodore.
Hello, I'm from the Government. I'm here to assist
User avatar
rgg066
User
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Victoria

Postby Richmeister » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:53 pm

rgg066 wrote:In NSW there are well documented reports on LPG Falcons turning themselves off / stalling at inopportune times without warning whilst conducting basic u-turns and other normal use manouveres, as well as whilst under UDD conditions


Their lights and sirens do that too!
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
User avatar
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Bendigo, Vic


Return to Police Vehicles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron