Australian Police Cars
Australian Police Cars
Police and Emergency Vehicle Forums

vic rodeo divi

Any discussion regarding police vehicles.

Moderator: Richmeister

vic rodeo divi

Postby ef boy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:46 pm

just wondering does any one know abot a marked rodeo i saw in the city today it was marked but it was a divi van
ef boy
User

Postby Car RAMROD » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:29 am

Its probably a trial of what they are going to use when Holden stops making the Crewman.

Rodeo vans, yee haw!
Car RAMROD
User

Postby deluxo » Wed May 02, 2007 9:59 pm

I hoope holden dosent stop making crewmans.
deluxo

Postby rgg066 » Mon May 07, 2007 8:41 pm

The decision has already been made. The Crewman is a dead duck!! Get used to it. They are known for diff problems, disgraceful fuel consumption and a back seat that is a waste of time.

The demise of the Crewan is no loss at all.
Hello, I'm from the Government. I'm here to assist
rgg066
User

Postby Car RAMROD » Tue May 08, 2007 8:04 am

rgg066 wrote:The decision has already been made. The Crewman is a dead duck!! Get used to it. They are known for diff problems, disgraceful fuel consumption and a back seat that is a waste of time.

The demise of the Crewan is no loss at all.

And to top it off the pod design is a stinker. First crook we put in the back that was angry broke it. 13cm split from the corner of one of the side windows. He was the size of a jockey too. No van at a 24 hour police station for 6 weeks while it was fixed.

Having had that whinge, even less interested in a Rodeo. Bring back a Falcon ute but with an updated (and lighter) pod design. They won't do it because it means Victoria Police will have to design it, therefore taking on the liability for any faults in it.
Car RAMROD
User

Postby wat? » Thu May 10, 2007 8:21 pm

The Rodeo is NOT a replacement for the crewman. It is utilised as a specifically designed vehicle for one of the units.

The Crewman is no loss at all... Can't wait to see the end of them! The most useless part is the backseat... and the lack of storage is disgraceful!
"Life if hard. However, it is even harder for stupid people"
wat?

Postby Car RAMROD » Fri May 11, 2007 10:35 am

wat? wrote:The Rodeo is NOT a replacement for the crewman. It is utilised as a specifically designed vehicle for one of the units.

The Crewman is no loss at all... Can't wait to see the end of them! The most useless part is the backseat... and the lack of storage is disgraceful!

So what is going to replace the Crewman? You seem to be in the know.
Car RAMROD
User

Postby deluxo » Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 pm

Having had that whinge, even less interested in a Rodeo. Bring back a Falcon ute but with an updated (and lighter) pod design. They won't do it because it means Victoria Police will have to design it, therefore taking on the liability for any faults in it.

Fords are crap. The best thing victoria police ever did was switch to crewmans instead of thoue crappy looking ford divi vans.
deluxo

Postby Car RAMROD » Mon May 14, 2007 9:29 am

deluxo wrote:Fords are crap. The best thing victoria police ever did was switch to crewmans instead of thoue crappy looking ford divi vans.

What is that comment based on?
Car RAMROD
User

Postby Aaron » Thu May 17, 2007 12:17 am

deluxo wrote:Fords are crap. The best thing victoria police ever did was switch to crewmans instead of thoue crappy looking ford divi vans.

Because looks are what really matter.
Aaron
Aaron

Postby Eddie » Mon May 21, 2007 3:56 pm

deluxo wrote:

Fords are crap. The best thing victoria police ever did was switch to crewmans instead of thoue crappy looking ford divi vans.

That comment was based on absolutely nothing! I'm sorry but the discussion here relates to the effectiveness of the holdens and fords based on ACTUAL police officer's experience and knowledge. There is a big difference between your car related bias ( lets all get big flags and watch v8 supercars) and police experience.

Get a badge, drive the vehicles, then comment. Unless you're a mechanic.
Cheers,

Eddie.
Eddie
User

Postby APF » Wed May 23, 2007 2:47 pm

Eddie wrote:
deluxo wrote:

That comment was based on absolutely nothing! I'm sorry but the discussion here relates to the effectiveness of the holdens and fords based on ACTUAL police officer's experience and knowledge. There is a big difference between your car related bias ( lets all get big flags and watch v8 supercars) and police experience.

Get a badge, drive the vehicles, then comment. Unless you're a mechanic.

From from an ACTUAL coppers experience. Ford vans crap, crewmans much much better.
APF
User

Postby Wolverine » Tue May 29, 2007 2:29 pm

APF wrote:From from an ACTUAL coppers experience. Ford vans crap, crewmans much much better.

Is that just based on the performance of the car i.e. handling, acceleration etc, or the unit as a whole including pod design? I have heard comment from some members that the pods are not that good.

Having driven some Ford panel vans during my Army career, I can see why they may not be favoured, as to me they were slow and cumbersome.

That is not to say I don't appreciate some other Ford products, which are quite allright when driven within the boundaries of the law by normal road users. They are just not suited to some applications
Darryl

"GO HARD OR GO HOME"
Wolverine
User

Postby APF » Tue May 29, 2007 7:07 pm

THe Ford van had crap vision (couldnt see behind you at all) was unstable, top heavy and rolled around a lot. Also very arse heavy.

The crewman sat lower, felt better on the road and while a bit longer, certainly handled a lot better.

The crewmans were a lot better equipped, cameras in the pod, lighting, etc etc.

The extra space was also fantastic.
APF
User

Postby Wolverine » Wed May 30, 2007 12:28 pm

APF wrote:THe Ford van had crap vision (couldnt see behind you at all) was unstable, top heavy and rolled around a lot. Also very arse heavy.

That about equates to my experience of Ford Panel Vans. The first time I drove one, I had a near miss with a car sitting in the passenger side blind spot. Being an Army vehicle for secret squirrel type stuff, the windows were also heavily tinted, thus reducing the vision even more. I ended up buying my own little blind spot mirror to stick on in an effort to better see what was beside me.
Darryl

"GO HARD OR GO HOME"
Wolverine
User

Postby Slattery » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:35 pm

I wonder how much money was put into the design of the crewman with Monash university when they came up with the crewman....
Cheers. Slattery (H0llyw00d H0gan). Running on Bigpond Broadband Cable.
Slattery

Postby ef boy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:16 am

what kind of cars will they use for the next divi van when the crewmen is gone
Photos Of All Emergency Services Vehicles

www.oz-emergency-services.fotopic.net
ef boy
User

Postby rgg066 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:59 pm

ef boy wrote:what kind of cars will they use for the next divi van when the crewmen is gone

Good question: The answer is nobody really knows. The evaluation process is ongoing. My guess is that ultimately we will get more Pod Cars to replace the "Van" as we know it and something like a fitted out Mercedes Sprinter or a Vito will become a floating van amongst several stations for transport of crooks that can't go in a pod car for whatever reason.

As a sidenote, the BA/BF van was a vast improvement over the previous Commodore Ute, namely due to a longer wheelbase and secondly for the ballast carried around the wheelarches to lower the cente of gravity for better high speed stability. Fuel range was an issue at times, as was the lack of rear vision when reversing as previously stated by another member on the site.

The Crewmans increased stability comes primarilly from a longer wheelbase.

I'm sure if the technology inprovements (camera, lighting etc) in the Crewman pod were utilised in a Falcon ute version, it would be viewed far more favourably.

Compared to a Falcon ute, the Crewmans are slower, VERY long and lack manouverability, especially around the lanyway type backstreets of Collingwood, Richmond, Fitrzoy etc.

I can't see too many tears being shed when the Crewmans go.
Hello, I'm from the Government. I'm here to assist
rgg066
User

Postby Richmeister » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:58 am

I saw an interesting photo recently, it was an unmarked white BA/BF ute with the old style cage back, but with a wagon type door on the back instead of the normal cage door.
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Car RAMROD » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Richmeister wrote:I saw an interesting photo recently, it was an unmarked white BA/BF ute with the old style cage back, but with a wagon type door on the back instead of the normal cage door.

They were a prototype for the dog squad, which was rejected. They were then used by the driving school for people going for their C-Class police licence (now called 'silver class') in order to give students an idea of what driving a van was like.

Problem was, the old Ford vans, with all the 3/8" steel in the back and the counter weights down each side of the tub, weighed in at nearly 1.5 tons. The practice vans were just a fibre glass shell and didn't really drive like a real van at all. As far as I know, there were two of these things getting around.
Car RAMROD
User

Postby wat? » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:31 am

rgg066 wrote:
ef boy wrote:what kind of cars will they use for the next divi van when the crewmen is gone

Good question: The answer is nobody really knows. The evaluation process is ongoing. My guess is that ultimately we will get more Pod Cars to replace the "Van" as we know it and something like a fitted out Mercedes Sprinter or a Vito will become a floating van amongst several stations for transport of crooks that can't go in a pod car for whatever reason.

The Rodeo is used by the BRU is conjunction with their other big vans.

Vicpol has about 300 crewmans stock piled in storage, the majority at a place out at Laverton. Apparently they believe this will last 3 years or so.

The current cage cars are being replaced with ordinary sedans as the current cages cannot be fitted to the new model fords/holdens as they interfere with the airbag setup. So pretty much all the pods are ready for the dumpster!

Where stations are requesting wagons as replacements, they will be getting the Ford Territory if they didn't get those terrible adventura's first. More territory's are been rolled out now, Melb East was probably one of the first stations that people noticed, however they are appearing in the suburbs now.

Apparently the vito or sprinters are being looked at as van replacements in the future. The rodeo is unable to offer the required stability for a vicpol divi van style pod apparently. They will be putting a lot more attention to this in the future me thinks, when the crewmans are just about gone.
"Life if hard. However, it is even harder for stupid people"
wat?

Postby Richmeister » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:34 am

And in three years someone will come up with the brilliant idea of modifying the Crewman cages to fit on the back of a Falcon ute.
Richard

Hi, I'm your friendly Site Administrator, here to make your stay on http://www.auspolcars.info/ as fun as possible!

RICHARDHILLPHOTO.COM
MFBWiki
Richmeister
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Police Vehicles